Thursday, May 17, 2012

Something beyond... Remembering a Great Writer

In a previous post, I shared with readers the profound effect Spanish and Latin American literature has had in my life. I was saddened to learn of the recent passing of the great Mexican writer, Carlos Fuentes. While reading his obituary, I came across the text of his final tweet and felt it was worth posting here. It may seem a grave injustice that such a prolific writer of novels, short stories, essays, theatre, and cinema would be honored here by a tweet. But once you read it I think you'll understand why:

"Debe haber algo más allá de la masacre y la barbarie, para sustentar la existencia del género humano y todos debemos participar en su busca."

"There must be something beyond slaughter and barbarism to support the existence of mankind and we must all help search for it."

May we all have the courage and strength to continue the search.

-Danny


No comments:

Post a Comment